Monday, January 26, 2015

Shelley Wright: "The power of student-driven learning" @ TEDxWestVancouverED


A teacher/​education blogger living in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Shelley Wright (@wrightsroom) enjoyed a career-altering experience when a course on pedagogy opened her eyes to self-directed learning.  In a TED Talk delivered at TEDxWestVancouverED (@TEDxWestVanED) Wright relates that, one day, she created the space for her science class to independently launch a project.  They decided to raise money for a non-profit organization attempting to build schools for Ugandan refugees.  The goal of Wright's students? $20,000 in 45 days.
And so as I stood at the front of my room looking at my students, I said, 'If you could design school to be anything you wanted it to be, what would it look like? What would it sound like? What would I hear? What would I see? What would it feel like? What would you be doing?' And when they realized that I was serious, they began to write.
...
That day I learned to believe in my students.  To believe in what really, deeply matters to them.  And to remove whatever obstacles I can to try to make that happen.  More importantly, my students learned to believe in themselves.  They learned that they can make a difference.  They had a saying the entire forty-five days:  'We are not the future.  We are right now.'

No comments:

Post a Comment